Development and humanitarian aid has its roots in colonisation. To move towards locally-led development, the sector needs to address that power is both, central to understanding and addressing development challenges, and operates within development.
Increasingly, efforts are being directed to shifting the power in international development. While the high level concept of shifting power is accepted and encouraged, practical steps can be difficult to define.
Here are some resources to share practical strategies to #ShiftThePower:
- What do African aid recipients think of charity ads? (article, 10 mins)
- All about power: Understanding social power and power structures (online journal, 1 hour, PDF 571KB)
- #PowerShifts Resources: Reclaiming Representation (webpage, 10 mins)
- Webinar series considers how communications strategies, framing and tactics can support efforts to #Shiftthepower (video, 4 hours)
- Anti-racism resources and facilitators (List and worksheets, 10 mins)
- Decolonisation & Locally Led Development: Discussion Paper (PDF; 120min read)